Improving collaboration – an effective Social Media integration point for businesses
According to Forrester research, organizations will increase their spending on enterprise social collaboration software at a compound annual growth rate of 61% through 2016. Forrester estimates enterprise social software will become a $6.4 billion market in 2016. This is based on their assumption that a new generation of social enterprise apps is, and will be, delivering on business needs. If this is the trend today and more so in the near future, how do you the plan to integrate social media to your work streams?
There are many integration points and it all depends on the needs of the business. Those needs can be classified into two types: (1) mass engagements: involvement of wider audience with open-ended boundaries; and (2) internal and external collaboration: engagement of specific audience, with defined boundaries.
In this article, we will focus on improving collaboration as integration points.
Collaboration through social tools usually entails the implementation of a collaborative decision management solution that encourages change in the way businesses collaborate to facilitate innovations. Saying that, two critical factors emerge:
(1) change in culture, ie, the way employees in a company collaborate, and
(2) the need to select and adopt an effective, collaborative-type tool
Companies that use collaboration as an integration point to adopting social tools face the following challenges:
(a) How do we get beyond e-mail, traditional meetings, conference calling, etc, to these new social platforms that include an industrial-strength social network?
(b) How do we change the way we work?
(c) How do we integrate social tools in our enterprise work stream?
(d) How do we become more innovative as a company because of it?
The answer is not Facebook nor Twitter – not for this type of business need. There are, however, applications for these purposes available in the market. They are referred to as collaborative decision management applications that provide functionalities like wikis, blogs, project management, community building, idea creation, etc.
Implementing a social tool for collaboration is just the first step, or I should say, the easy step. To get employees to use it collectively enough to change the way they collaborate is the much bigger challenge. Adoption of social tools in the workplace setting requires more than compliance and a management mandate. It is about culture transformation from within and for all employees, from top to bottom.
So, what’s the point?
Today, if an employee has an idea, he or she goes to their boss to discuss it, or goes to the board to present it as a proposal, or sends an idea narrative by email. Consider the alternative of posting ideas as wikis, and letting everyone else read, comment and even change them.An effective approach is a grassroots adoption through structured learning experiences, involving adoption champions from different levels of the organization. The communication and implementation of the grassroots approach must be focused on the benefits to the users first, and promotion of the value creation for the company next.
It’s easier to convince employees to change the way they work if they understand that this will make their job easier.
Top Posts & Pages
- Incremental Change vs. Radical Improvement
- Work-life Lesson 3: Set your performance standards high and never give in to “good enough”. Be your own toughest critic.
- The Helpdesk Model – What It Means to Put Helpdesk to Work and Improve
- What Prioritization and Planning Can Do for You
- Seven Business Lessons from 7-Eleven
- Four Key Elements of a Process Initiative
- Work-life Lessons 7: Choose a good attitude
- Project Management Lessons from the Olympics Games
- Business Relationship Management Frameworks - BRM Organizational Pyramid and BRM Process Groups and Competencies
- Business Lessons from My Wii Fit Plus Experience
- First preseason game for the Spurs! #GoSpursGo #notimmy https://t.co/uEAKmLQx5d 1 month ago
- Gave @united the benefit of the doubt... after switching airline for several flights, first attempt back a fail. Delayed flight again! 2 months ago
- Welcome to the @Spurs! #GoSpursGo twitter.com/dejountemurray… 5 months ago
- 166,964 views
- June 2015 (1)
- September 2014 (1)
- June 2014 (1)
- April 2014 (1)
- February 2014 (1)
- December 2013 (1)
- October 2013 (1)
- September 2013 (1)
- July 2013 (2)
- June 2013 (2)
- January 2013 (1)
- October 2012 (1)
- September 2012 (2)
- August 2012 (2)
- June 2012 (2)
- April 2012 (2)
- March 2012 (1)
- December 2011 (1)
- October 2011 (2)
- September 2011 (2)
- July 2011 (1)
- June 2011 (3)
- May 2011 (1)
- April 2011 (1)
- March 2011 (3)
- February 2011 (5)
- January 2011 (5)
- December 2010 (1)
- November 2010 (2)
- October 2010 (3)
- September 2010 (4)
- August 2010 (2)
- July 2010 (2)
- June 2010 (2)
- May 2010 (4)
- April 2010 (2)
- March 2010 (1)
- February 2010 (2)
- January 2010 (2)
- December 2009 (1)
- November 2009 (2)
- October 2009 (3)
- September 2009 (4)
- August 2009 (6)